The first schoolhouse in Stouffville was on Church St., just north of Main St., where the United Church building stands. In 1865, the schoolhouse was purchased by the Methodist congregation and moved across the street; the building still exists as a two-family dwelling. Today Whitchurch–Stouffville is home to several public, Catholic, and private educational institutions.
The York Region District School Board has one public secondary institution in Whitchurch–Stouffville–Stouffville District Secondary School — and six public elementary institutions: Ballantrae Public School, Glad Park Public School, Summitview Public School, Whitchurch Highlands Public School, Harry Bowes Public School, and Oscar Peterson Public School. Another elementary school is planned for 2012.
The York Catholic District School Board has two Catholic elementary institutions in Whitchurch–Stouffville: Saint Mark’s Elementary (1965) and Saint Brigid Elementary. A third elementary school is planned for a location south of Main Street. Catholic school students graduating from Grade Eight are either bused to Brother André Catholic High School in Markham, or transfer to the public system and attend Stouffville District Secondary School.
Stouffville also has four private schools: The Progressive Montessori Academy, Stouffville Christian School, Mindtech Montessori School, and Willowgrove Primary School. In 2009, there were 38 licensed child care centres registered in York, but none were located in Whitchurch–Stouffville; eight child care facilities in Whitchurch–Stouffville have subsidized spaces, and four do not.
As the town continues to expand, new facilities are being constructed to accommodate the increasing number of school-aged children in the community. In 2006, construction was begun on a new facility to replace the aging Stouffville District Secondary School. Located near the intersection of Weldon and Hoover Park Drive (part of a major suburban expansion project), the new high school accommodates approximately 1,500 students.
Not all programs have kept pace with the rapid change. The Education Quality and Accountability school reports for 2009 show 28% of the Grade Three students in one of Stouffville’s newest schools first spoke a language other than English at home, but for 2010-11 the school board planned to offer none of its 81 international language programs for elementary pupils in Whitchurch–Stouffville.
Both the proportion of youth participating in higher education, as well as the proportion of adults in Whitchurch–Stouffville who have completed a university program is growing annually and far exceeds the national average. However there are no post-secondary education campuses located in Whitchurch–Stouffville. In 1877, the village of Stouffville established a Mechanics’ Institute, which later became the Whitchurch-Stouffville Public Library. Emmanuel Bible College in Kitchener, Ontario had its beginnings in Stouffville in 1940. In 1991 the town came close to securing an agreement with Seneca College to open a new campus in Stouffville. In 2010, the Markham Stouffville Hospital (located in Markham) became a teaching site for residents practicing family medicine at the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine.