The official guide, powered by On the Road magazine

Do ItHike
For those that want to be outdoors, Stouffville has variety. In the country, trail walks and birding experiences can be gleaned in thirteen forest tracts, three conservation areas, the Bill Fisch Forest Centre and the Stouffville Reservoir. In town, bike trails connect parks and community facilities. The Oak Ridges Moraine Trail, a 300 km trail, winds from east to west across Stouffville.
Discover
Previous
Next
Cedar Valley

The community, located at the intersection of Vivian Sideroad and Kennedy Road, was also home to the Canadian National Railway’s Grand Trunk line in 1905, and it served as a shipping point for agricultural produce from Pine Orchard. Pine Orchard, the community at Warden Avenue and Vivian Sideroad, was settled in 1802 by Quaker families who emigrated from Pennsylvania.

Read More

Vandorf

Originally known as “Brookvale,” the community situated at Vandorf Sideroad and Woodbine Avenue had to be renamed in 1887 when the post office was opened and it was discovered that the name Brookvale was already in use. Vandorf, a compilation of “Van” for the Van Nostrands who operated a prosperous sawmill in the area, and “dorf”which means “village” was chosen.

Read More

Gormley

Gormley was named after James Gormley who ran a general store and post office at Stouffville Sideroad and Woodbine Avenue. Gormley came to this area in the 1840s and was a teacher, auctioneer, notary public, postmaster and storekeeper.

Read More

Vivian

Vivian was originally known as Sexsmith’s Corners after George Sexsmith, who operated a general store and inn. The community was an important lumber area known for its white pine forests. The McCormick family arrived in 1866 and was important to this development, as they owned a sawmill, shingle factory, general store, blacksmith shop and maple sugar bush.

Read More

Ballantrae

Ballantrae was settled in the early 1800s and became a busy economic centre for the surrounding lumber trade. This community had several hotels, blacksmiths, general stores, the Mayflower Stamping Company (to mark barrels and other containers), a shoemaker and four or five sawmills.

Read More

Stouffville

Stouffville got its name from abraham stouffer who emigrated to the area in 1804. The community sprang up around the grist and sawmills that he built between 1817 and 1824. Stouffville eclipsed and absorbed the community of ringwood, which at its heyday, had eclipsed stouffville.

Read More

Cedar Valley The community, located at the intersection of Vivian Sideroad and Kennedy Road, was also home to the Canadian National Railway’s Grand Trunk line in 1905, and it served as a shipping point for agricultural produce from Pine Orchard. Pine Orchard, the community at Warden Avenue and Vivian Sideroad, was settled in 1802 by Quaker families who emigrated from Pennsylvania. Read More

Vandorf

Originally known as “Brookvale,” the community situated at Vandorf Sideroad and Woodbine Avenue had to be renamed in 1887 when the post office was opened and it was discovered that the name Brookvale was already in use. Vandorf, a compilation of "Van" for the Van Nostrands who operated a prosperous sawmill in the area, and "dorf"which means “village” was chosen.

Read More

Gormley

Gormley was named after James Gormley who ran a general store and post office at Stouffville Sideroad and Woodbine Avenue. Gormley came to this area in the 1840s and was a teacher, auctioneer, notary public, postmaster and storekeeper.

Read More

Vivian

Vivian was originally known as Sexsmith's Corners after George Sexsmith, who operated a general store and inn. The community was an important lumber area known for its white pine forests. The McCormick family arrived in 1866 and was important to this development, as they owned a sawmill, shingle factory, general store, blacksmith shop and maple sugar bush.

Read More

Ballantrae

Ballantrae was settled in the early 1800s and became a busy economic centre for the surrounding lumber trade. This community had several hotels, blacksmiths, general stores, the Mayflower Stamping Company (to mark barrels and other containers), a shoemaker and four or five sawmills.

Read More

Stouffville

Stouffville got its name from abraham stouffer who emigrated to the area in 1804. The community sprang up around the grist and sawmills that he built between 1817 and 1824. Stouffville eclipsed and absorbed the community of ringwood, which at its heyday, had eclipsed stouffville.

Read More

Our Story

Over the years, the Town has gathered many stories about our people and our business proprietors. This is a living archive, as we value our sense of history as much as a sense of the present. We have partitioned our Business Spotlights and Our Stories into six geographical regions. It is not a perfect approach, yet this capture far eclipses the organizational structure. Please enjoy the read about people and places.
Upcoming Events
For the latest, See On the Road magazine and Discover Stouffville.
Categories

Featured Stories across the L4a

 Stouffville resident Dr. Arthur Terence “Terry” O’Connor was inducted into the Ontario Agricultural Hall of Fame in June 2021. This was quite an honour,…
 park, June 17, 2017 is the grand opening. The park is modern, environmentally advanced and is overdue for a community of Musselman’s Lake that…