Bloomington, the community located at the intersection of Bloomington Road and Ninth Line, was named by Maxson Jones in 1869 after his hometown in Illinois. Mr. Jones, a storekeeper, was the community’s second postmaster, following S. Patterson. Maxson Jones was also a magistrate and held several municipal offices including Assessor, Councillor, Deputy-Reeve and Reeve of Whitchurch Township. The nearby lumber industry was of great benefit to the community. Woodworking shops, blacksmith shops, weavers, a gristmill, a watch repair shop, a photography studio, and a general store were among the many local businesses here. A brick school was constructed in 1898 to replace the 1826 wood frame school, and still stands but is now a private residence. The Bloomington Christian Church was built in 1852. A post office served the citizens from 1863 to 1920.