The official guide, powered by On the Road magazine


Initially a hamlet of Whitchurch Township, Stouffville got its name from Abraham Stauffer (Stouffer) who emigrated to the area in 1804. The community sprang up around the grist and sawmills that he built between 1817 and 1824. By 1832, a post office (still active today) was established along with a general store, blacksmith shop, tavern, drugstore, and school. The area continued to grow and eventually required its own municipal government. Stouffville incorporated as a village in 1877.