The community of Wesley Corners, located at the crossroads of Woodbine Avenue and Aurora Road, was originally called Hacking’s Corners after Rev. James Hacking, a Congregational preacher who settled in the area in about 1817 and held early church meetings at his home. Rev. Hacking soon moved with his family to Peel County but his son John stayed on the farm and later opened a small store to supply the basic needs for residents. A Methodist church was built in 1881, replacing the former log chapel known as Petch’s Chapel. The new church was named in honour of Rev. John Wesley, the founder of the Methodist movement. The area soon came to be known as Wesley Corners.